With many companies continuing to rely on a remote or hybrid workforce, these unconventional arrangements are not without challenges. Fortunately, there are several ways to effectively manage your team…
- Deploy Tools that Work – The right technology resources must be in place to support remote workers. Ensure they have everything they need – broadband, a laptop, webcam (if not included in the laptop), smart phone, and the proper services and software for collaboration.
- Set Expectations – Setting clear expectations will help keep your team focused on project goals. Establishing regular working hours but remaining flexible with everyone’s schedule will drive productivity. Outlining project plans, tasks and goals as the ways through which you will measure success will instill more confidence.
- Establish Regular Check-Ins – Establishing regular video check-ins with your team shows that you are available to them, ready to listen and open to feedback. Video calls are the best way to have one-on-one and team meetings because communicating over video creates a more personal experience while making everyone feel included. Having weekly one-on-ones or daily team meetings are a great start to establishing a communication routine.
- Over-communicate… and then some – Not only does over-communication help keep your team on task, it lessens the feelings of isolation members may be experiencing. Recognize employees individually or with a call-out during a team meeting. This acknowledgment will let them know you are paying attention to their successes and that you are there to support them.
- Be Engaging – Inject some fun into your team’s remote working routine and devise ways to engage them. For example, you could create virtual happy hours or implement video-lunches as part of your weekly schedule as a way to ensure that everyone unplugs from work for a little socializing. This can go a long way toward helping team members cope better with prolonged isolation.
Working from home is not ideal for every company or employee, but understanding how to overcome the challenges with better technology will help you succeed.
Let’s talk about better ways to connect your remote or hybrid workforce. Contact us today at 800.787.4848 or firstname.lastname@example.org.